"Something wrong mate? You know the girl?"

"I think,"

"He
thinks... what kind of answer is that? Leave it to a girl to cause a bloke's mind to malfunction."

Remus, James & Sirius; Not Just Puppy Love


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

[OS] Finding the One

She sat on the bay window of her room. Looking down at the street in front of her house, she waited patiently, watching for what she wanted to see. The street was abandoned, as usual at the hours after nine o'clock in the evening. The lamp posts provided some soft light to provide some sight to those wishing to venture in the dark nights. The sky above, which was usually studded with stars, was covered in thick, grey clouds this evening. Pulling her knees to her chest, she leaned back against the one side of the bay window as she watched the street for any signs of vehicles. Headlights appeared at the furthest point of the street she was able to see, but it drove by.

Sighing softly, she ran a careless hand through damp, thick, wavy locks of hair. The other hand, clasping tightly around a mug of hot chocolate, brought the mug to her lips and she took a small sip. Absent-mindedly playing with a lock of her short, dark-caramel tresses, her eyes went back to the end of the street. She finished her drink and set the mug carefully on the ground by her window. How long was it she had been waiting here? It was around ten, her internal clock informed her, and he had left at approximately seven o'clock in the evening. She certainly had not been sitting at her window awaiting his return since he left; had she?

"Susan? Really?"

The voice pulled her violently out of her reverie and she pressed her back against the window in slight shock. The voice didn't shock her, more of the sudden presence of it did. Regaining composure, she relaxed as she faced the man standing at the door of her bedroom.

"I didn't see you pull into the driveway," she explained her reaction as the concern on his face ceased.

"You probably had your eye on the street then," he said as he loosened his tie and walked over to her. He sat on the edge of her bed closest to her, which was about a meter away.

"Maybe- but I didn't even see you drive down the street," she pointed out as she looked down the street again and back at him,

"Well, you were looking down the street towards Lancaster Avenue. The place I went to was on the opposite down by Derby." He explained as he took off his tie and unbuttoned the top of his shirt, "If I ever have to go to another formal dinner like that, I'll hex someone!"

She rolled his eyes at him, "How was your date with Susan anyways?"

"Well, I predicted it wouldn't turn out good before the date anyway," He said as he leaned back on his elbows,

"And why is that? I believe I have good match making skills," she inquired,

"Well obviously you're not that good if you set me up on a date with someone who likes formalities and fancy restaurants like that. You know I hate dressing up," He reminded bitterly,

"Well besides the restaurant, was it really that horrible?" she asked,

"Yes. Susan Bones is as boring as she was back in Hogwarts four years ago! All she does is talk about the Ministry, Politics and some other boring stuff. I can't exactly how our conversation went down, I sort of phased out after she began talking about new Ministry policies she's trying to get approved with Madame Minister of Magic," he answered in dull tones,

"You mean she could have proposed and you agreed and you wouldn't know?" she let out a melodic laugh and he couldn't help but grin.

"I wasn't that unaware of what was going on," he defended, "But if we were engaged, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, she was really boring! I could've joined a new generation of Death Eaters and I wouldn't know," he laughed. "Seriously," he gave her a serious look with narrowed eyebrows, "if you ever set me up with her again, I will hex you."

"Oh please Ronald Weasley, you haven't been able to hex me since we were in our First Year of Hogwarts," she said exasperatedly while rolling her eyes at him,

"It isn't that I haven't been able to, it's just that I haven't attempted," Ron replied coolly, "I wouldn't underestimate me, Miss Granger."

"Okay fine, but I'll find someone else for you to date," Hermione offered as she swung her legs onto the edge, knocking the mug over. She retracted her legs onto the bench again as the mug shattered into shards, "That always happens. Ron, can you just grab the broom from the closet?"

Rolling to the other side of the bed as to avoid stepping on the broken pieces of mug, he padded over to her closet and withdrew the broom. He walked over and began sweeping the broken porcelain. When he gathered a small pile of the pieces, he looked around to see if he missed anything. Sweeping his eyes quickly on the floor, he took out his wand and pointed to the shards. He levitated them and guided them into the trash can.

"Thanks," Hermione said as she smiled at him, "I may be one of the most learned witches in all of England, but I still haven't mastered the simple home spells as Ginny has."

"Well, she did have my mother as a mom, so no doubt she would have mastered them at a young age," Ron reminded as he abandoned the broom against the wall and reclined back on the bed, "Speaking of my dear sister, has she returned from Paris?"

Hermione shrugged, "She hasn't sent an owl since last week. Are you really okay with her being with him?"

"I'm not against it and if I were, I can't really do anything about it," Ron explained simply, "So, who do you have in mind this time, Mione?"

"Why not try Lavender again?" Hermione suggested, "I mean, you guys were together at one point in Hogwarts, couldn't you try dating her again?"

Ron shrugged, "Depends if she's changed since then."

"She has," Hermione insisted, "She works with me at the Ministry. She's more nicer than back then, we're together every day. Besides, she wasn't that bad in Hogwarts." Ron gave her a scrutinizing looking, "Why did you even break up with her? You never said it. To me or Harry."

Ron answered without hesitation quickly, "I told you, I have my reasons. I'm surprised you're even bringing her into this after what happened."

Hermione looked away, "Fine, I won't pry into your reasons. But trust me, you guys will hit it off without a hitch."

Ron ran a hand through his hair wearily, "I hope. Who knew searching for the one' would be so difficult?"

"You'll find her," Hermione insisted, "For all we know, she's Lavender."

Ron shrugged carelessly as he laid his head back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. He really did want to stop this search for the one', but something in his gut didn't really think Lavender would turn out to be the girl he had been searching for.

***

Ron lay awake in his bed, staring at the ceiling. He had always felt awkward sleeping in guest rooms of other people's houses, but he didn't feel that way here in Hermione's house. Then again, he was a frequent visitor to her home and he usually did sleep there anyway. It had become such a routine she just gave up and gave him a copy of her house key. Fingers folded behind his head, he tried to think clearly.

He had been searching for the one' since the end of the Great Magical War just two years prior. Perhaps the thing that propelled him to being searching for the love of his life in a serious manner was the words Harry had spoken to him just hours before the end of the War-

---

"Ron, do me a favor," Harry huffed as he leaned back against a broken, dungeon wall of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. Ron nodded, "Get yourself and Hermione out of here."

"Harry, I –"

"No, let me speak, I just got the signal from Kingsley, Dumbledore wants to head in now," Harry said, "Ron, get out of here. Hermione's still out in the stair well fighting the resistance of Death Eaters, finish them off and get out."

"Harry, I'm not going to let you go in there alone! We should be fighting there side by side, as best friends should," Ron argued,

"That's noble Ron and I appreciate what you want to do, but you and I both know I'm the only one who can defeat Voldemort. I don't want anymore deaths on my conscience," Harry explained, "Please Ron, just do this last thing for me."

"It won't be the last –"

"Ron. You and I both know the chances of me surviving a duel with Voldemort is slim to none, so please- this is already hard enough parting ways with you like this," Harry said as he forced back the tears,

Ron hugged Harry tightly, "Harry you're my best friend, there are so many things I want to say –"

Harry released Ron out of their embrace and held up a hand to silence him, "There's nothing you need to say. Our friendship has been much more than enough. But listen, if I don't get out of this alive," he shook his head when Ron attempted to talk, "if I don't, just promise me that you and Hermione stick together okay? The same we've been since nine years ago."

Ron nodded, "Of course."

"Now get out of here!" Harry pointed towards a dungeon door leading back the way they came.
Ron hesitated then turned to run. "Wait." Ron stopped and turned to face Harry, "Ron- listen, I never exactly got to be with the person I love before this point. So do me another favor and don't wait until the last minute to be with that one person you're meant to be with."

Ron shot him a quizzical expression, "That's a bit easier said than done!"

"I know. I know. I'm just saying I'm regretting not spending more time with her now. So, when this war's done, just think about it. I don't want you to have the same regrets I do."

Ron nodded, "I promise then Harry." With that, he turned back on his heel and ran out of the dungeons.


---

-Ron lay there and contemplated. He did stay true to his promise. When the war ended and the rebuilding of a broken world began, he had started his search for the one'.

Rolling onto his stomach, he faced the window on the wall which the bed was pushed against. He remained silent and tried to listen for any sounds in the house. Nothing. Absolute silence besides his own breathing. This disturbed him, so he threw off the covers of the bed, swung his legs over and left the room, wand already taken from his bedside table.

***

Ron went to the room across from his own and gently opened the door. He peeked in and there was still silence. He whispered lumos' and entered the room. Besides the furniture within, no one was there. Alarmed, he left the room and proceeded to Hermione's bed room. He knocked with anxiety, awaiting for some sounds telling him she had been awaken.

The door opened on its own and he entered. Hermione looked up from her bed as she replaced her wand on the bedside table. Her short locks were tied back away from her face, as she preferred at night, and he could clearly see her face as the moonlight poured through her bay window. She glared at him in annoyance and concern,

"Ron- it's," she paused to look at the muggle clock on her table which emitted the time in a red glow, "it's three in the morning. How can you even be up? After a second dinner you're usually knocked out!"

"I know, I know, but I couldn't sleep and I realized it was too quiet and- where's Neville?" Ron finally questioned,

Hermione rolled her eyes as she let her head fall back onto her pillow. "He's at the Burrow."

Ron let out a sigh of relief, "Why didn't you tell me? When I went to go see him, he wasn't there and I freaked out."

"You've been paranoid since the end of the war Ron," Hermione muttered loud enough for him to hear, "I know Auror training was good for you and all, but it made you a tad paranoid."

"Auror training was a year ago and I'm not even in that business anymore. And I am NOT paranoid!" Ron exclaimed, "So, why didn't you tell me why Neville wasn't here?"

"You never asked?" She offered as she buried her head back in her pillow, "Go back to sleep Ron."

"You mean I have to walk back down the hall?" Ron whined.

Hermione looked up at him, "You prat." She threw a pillow at him as she edged to one side of her bed, "Well, are you going to sleep by the door or sleep beside me?"

"The door's more tempting right now," He muttered as he padded towards her bed and laid down on the other side of the bed, tucking the pillow under his head. "Thanks Mione."

"Yeah, yeah," she muttered as she turned on her side so she was facing him, "You know, this could be a reason why some of the women you date only date you once."

"Why?" Ron inquired,

"Because you sleep in my bed often," Hermione pointed out,

"What should that matter? We're just friends. We're just sleeping together. It's not like we're sleeping together'," Ron defended, "You girls always have a dirty mind in these things."

"And you guys don't?" Hermione gasped,

"We do not," Ron answered as he closed his eyes, "Now will you stop talking? I need my beauty sleep."

Hermione smirked as she pushed him off the edge of the bed. "Good night Ron," she said innocently as he hit the floor with a thud and stood up to glare down at her.

He huffed, "Good night indeed."

***

Ron felt himself slipping out of his deep slumber the next morning. He felt the slightly warm rays of sun on his face and felt another warmth right beside him. Lazily, he opened his eyes and looked down to see his arms wrapped around Hermione as she snuggled to his side, head laying on the crook of his shoulder. The sun glittered on the natural gold strands in her hair and she looked, he had to admit, ethereal.

What if he tried dating Hermione again? It worked once before and, besides a little mishap and their fighting - their relationship was perfect. Maybe it could work again? Here he was, after all, in her bed, with her in his arms. It wasn't the first time, as Hermione mentioned the night before. Maybe she invited him to sleep in her room because she wants to start things up again? The thought lingered in his mind. However, as he relished in the idea of perhaps being with Hermione again, another thought came into his head. Less a thought and more so a memory of their conversation the night before-

---

"Why not try Lavender again?" Hermione suggested, "I mean, you guys were together at one point in Hogwarts, couldn't you try dating her again?"

-

Hermione looked away, "Fine, I won't pry into your reasons. But trust me, you guys will hit it off without a hitch."

Ron ran a hand through his hair wearily, "I hope. Who knew searching for the one' would be so difficult?"

"You'll find her," Hermione insisted, "For all we know, she's Lavender."


---

What if he was getting her signal crossed and what he mistook for affection was really just a deep friendship? After all, if she wanted to be with him again, wouldn't she have mentioned it by now? The one fact that convinced him he was being silly to even think of being with Hermione again was that she was always trying to help him find dates.

Sighing slightly, he closed his head as he let his chin rest on the top of her head. He breathed in the scent of her which was vanilla and strawberries. Why hadn't he been able to have success with any of the girls Hermione set him up with? They were all terrific people, great personalities and, although appearances weren't a big department for him, they were each beautiful in their own way. He opened his eyes again as he stared out the window, maybe the problem was found in himself. What was wrong with him that he had no success at all in any relationship? Not even his previous relationship with Hermione was perfect considering they fought often. What was it that drove him to cause his relationships to go ruin?

"You're upset about something."

Pulled out of his reverie, he looked down at Hermione who looked up at him, "Why do you say that?"

"Well, you've got this horrible look on your face," Hermione explained as she pulled out of his embrace and got out of bed, "And it's six in the morning and you're up. Do you have practice with the team today?"

"Later around noon," Ron explained before adding, "But I know the rest of the Chudley Cannons will be there way after noon."

"You're all amazing players in the games. Until it's practice, then you're lazy prats, the whole lot of you." Hermione chuckled as she opened the door to her room, heading to the bathroom.

She came out seconds later, "I just remembered, so I'll set things up with Lavender today if that's alright?" Ron shrugged submissively, "Well, when is it good to go out?"

"When would it be okay with her?" Ron asked,

"Ron, she's just a secretary at the Ministry, not a department head like myself. Besides, you're the one with the big job," Hermione reminded,

"Then tomorrow after the match is good for me," Ron said simply.

"Great," Hermione exclaimed as she headed back to the bathroom, "You two will hit it off. I'm sure of it!"

Ron sighed as he headed back to his room as he passed the closed door of the bathroom, "I wish I were as sure as you."

***

Hermione finished reading and signing a stack of contracts just as Lavender popped her head through the door.

"Did you call me?" Lavender grinned,

"Yes, yes. Come in," Hermione beckoned as she magicked the papers into a filing cabinet behind her desk.

Lavender sat down at a chair in front of Hermione's desk. A muggle cell phone on her desk rang and Hermione gave an apologetic look as she answered the call. As Hermione conversed as quickly as possible to the person on the other end of the phone, she stole glances at Lavender, looking her up and down.

Today, Lavender wore robes of deep purple which complemented nicely with her blonde hair and blue eyes. Hermione took a second to assess Lavender again, perhaps she was being too hard in judging? Her hair had a golden sheen to it and her eyes were a deeper blue than most others; certainly could not hold a feather to the blue in Ron's eyes, however.

Hermione looked down at her desk as she ended the conversation and put the phone away in her desk, "Sorry."

"It's okay," Lavender insisted, "So, why'd you call?"

"I know this is odd and out of the blue, but would you like to go on a date with Ron Weasley?" Hermione asked as if she had memorized and said this line over and over before. In truth, she had. She said that exact question to every girl she had set up for Ron and, she had learned after the first few girls, no one could resist. Lavender, if Hermione knew her as well as she thought, would also accept the date.

"He's in the market?" Lavender questioned as she examined Hermione's expression. Hermione nodded solemnly, "And he wants to go out with me?" Although Hermione knew Ron was hesitant, she did not hesitate to nod a positive answer to Lavender. "When would he want to go out?"

"Tomorrow after the match?" Hermione suggested,

Lavender chewed on her lip as she contemplated her answer. She looked at Hermione, but she had plastered on a blank expression she had learned to force on herself. Lavender, Hermione knew, would accept.

She's just putting a show,' Hermione thought as she stared at Lavender who continued on with her contemplation facade.

Lavender let out a sigh as if she was submitting to the date, "Very well. Is this all?"

Hermione nodded so Lavender stood up and left the office. Hermione smirked as she heard a little squeal of joy after Lavender had left the room. Although she appeared annoyed with the thought of dating Ron, Hermione knew quite well that Lavender was ecstatic.

***


Signing the last of the papers due for the next morning, Hermione placed a stack of papers in a filing cabinet. Closing it and placing a locking charm on it, she returned to the pile of books laying haphazardly around her desk. Shaking her head at the disorganization, she pulled back her leather chair to sit in it. Practically collapsing into the chair, she closed her eyes as she tried to regain some energy the day took away from her. After Lavender had left her office, she began to become swamped with piles of work from Madame Minister along with other cases around London dealing with her department in the Ministry.

"You look tired."

Her eyes shot open in alarm and after seeing who it was, relaxed and closed her eyes once more, "What are you doing here Ron? I thought you had practice."

"I did. From noon until seven. It's seven-thirty," Ron explained as he sat down in a chair before her desk, "Busy day?" Hermione could do nothing more than nod in confirmation, "I passed Lavender on my way into the Ministry, she seemed awfully friendly. I'm assuming you set things up?" Hermione nodded again, "Mione, you better be right in saying she changed. She seemed like the same, flirtatious Lavender back there."

"Don't worry Ron, she's changed," Hermione insisted, "She's not a ditsy, annoying air head like she was back in Hogwarts. She's got a good head on her shoulders."

"I'm just saying, appearances can be deceiving," Ron said casually as he picked up one of the books laying on her desk closest to him,

"Is that referring to the reason you broke up with her in Seventh Year?" Hermione inquired and Ron nodded as he began to read the page the book was opened to, "Are you going to tell me why, now?"

Ron abruptly closed the book and placed it back on the desk as a dismissive sign. "So," he continued as if the question had never been asked, "are you ready to leave? I'm starving."

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed exasperatedly,

"What?" He whined,

"If you wanted to go out for dinner, why didn't you ask Lavender?" Hermione demanded, "You know you're going to go out with her anyway and here you came looking for company to dinner!"

"Because I'm going to dinner with her tomorrow anyway," Ron said simply, "I came here to escort one of my best friends to dinner."

"Oh please, every time we go out for dinner it's always the Leaky Cauldron," Hermione rolled her eyes as she stood up to collect her books and place them on a shelf on the other side of her office.

"Is there a problem with the Leaky Cauldron?" Ron asked with an edge to his voice,

"No, I'm just saying that it'd be nice to eat dinner elsewhere," Hermione answered as she sent the books flying to the bookcase.

"Well good, because I wasn't going to take you to the Leaky Cauldron anyway," Ron revealed.

Hermione raised her head from her briefcase to give him a quizzical expression, "And where did you plan to take me?"

"The Burrow," Ron grinned from ear to ear, "Charlie's cooking."

"Charlie's the only one around to cook," Hermione reminded him.

Ron shrugged, "It's not my fault he took it upon himself to take on mum's burdens."

A silence fell on them as the awkward subject of Ron's parents entered their conversation. Hoping for another topic out of it, Hermione asked the only question seeming reasonable enough to ask,

"What's he cooking?" Hermione asked,

Ron shrugged, "It's always a surprise with Charlie. Now grab your stuff and lets go."

"So bossy," Hermione scoffed, "If you want to go there so badly, you can go there and I'll meet you there."

"How do I know you'll come?" Ron inquired as he scrutinized her,

"Neville's there," Hermione answered simply, "I was going to go to the Burrow after work anyway. So, it's only convenience that you're there as well. He's anxious to see you."

"How do you know?" Ron asked,

It was Hermione's turn to shrug, "He's been asking for you all week."

Ron's expression softened, "Really? I miss Neville. I'll have to apologize for not coming by and visiting then."

Hermione nodded, "Since you haven't seen him, I won't barge in on you guys. You should go ahead, I'll be there in ten minutes."

Ron nodded in agreement and left her to her thoughts.

***

"Good evening Hermione!" Charlie greeted happily as he turned away to his finished creation on the stove top.

"To you too, Charlie," Hermione smiled as she hugged him, "That smells good!"

"Why thank you," Charlie said as he picked up his wand and got three bowls out of a cupboard,

"Three? I guess Ginny's still in Paris then?" Charlie nodded, "Do you have any idea when she'll be back?"

"Well, the last owl I got was two days ago. She mentioned something about running away to the Americas to elope. Oh yes, she did mention she'll be returning shortly after the birth of her second child," Charlie smirked as Hermione rolled her eyes,

"You Weasley boys never grow up," Hermione stated as she took a seat at the kitchen table,

"We would if we wanted to," Charlie chuckled as he began to pour some stew into each bowl, "So, what brings you to our humble abode? Fetching Neville I'm assuming?"

Hermione nodded, "If you don't mind me stealing him back. What did he do yesterday after I left in the morning?"

Charlie shrugged as he tried to remember, "He stayed mostly with Fred and George at the shop in Diagon Alley."

Hermione shook her head in dismay, "Those two will have a bad influence on him if they're around him this much."

Charlie laughed, "Don't worry Herms. Fred and George have good heads on their shoulders. They won't let anything bad happen to Neville while he's with them."

Hermione smiled as she nodded. Charlie may have been laughing, but Hermione sense the seriousness behind his smiles. "Yes well, I couldn't do much if I wanted to get him to spend less time with them if I wanted. He has too much fun with them and I'd hate to take away the one thing that makes him laugh until he goes blue in the face." She thanked him when he handed her a bowl of stew and a spoon. She was about to taste it when she stopped and placed the spoon back down.

"It can't be so horrible that you already hate it?" Charlie raised an eyebrow,

"I just remembered we're eating without Ron. You know he hates it," Hermione smirked, "Where is he anyway?"

"Last time I checked, he was up in his bedroom talking to Neville," Charlie explained. Hermione sat silently as she avoided looking at Charlie, "Herms, if you want to go up there, you don't need to be shy about it. You've lived here since your Second Year. I'm not necessarily going to demand you ask when you can roam around the house!"

"Thanks Charlie," Hermione said sheepishly. She got up and kissed him with sisterly affection on the cheek, "I forget sometimes."
With that, she trotted out of the kitchen and headed to the familiar, squeaky stairs.

***

Hermione stopped outside the old door leading to Ron's bedroom. She pressed her ear against the door in hopes to catch what Ron was saying to Neville.

"I know you've been her tons, but I had to bring you to see my room. I've lived in this room for ages," she heard Ron say, "Harry's lived in this room almost as long as I have. But, as you know, he's gone."
There was a silence before she heard Ron's voice again, "Hermione, I know you're out there. You might as well come in already."

Grinning sheepishly, she entered and closed the door behind her. "How'd you know?"

"How else? I heard you come up the stairs," Ron smirked.

Hermione shook her head as she went to Ron's bed and sat next to Neville. She gently patted his head as she looked down at her son with affection, "He's getting so big now, don't you think?"

"He is. He's almost two right?" Ron inquired and Hermione nodded as she lifted little Neville under the arms and onto her lap. "He's very energetic," he commented as Neville attempted to squirm out of his mother's grasp,

"He is. Just like his father," Hermione smiled with a hint of something Ron was unsure of, "it's obvious he loves his father."

Ron smiled, "It is." For a few silent moments, he watched Hermione talk with her child. He smiled with affection as he watched the maternal instinct in Hermione came out while she was with her son. He was there the first moments of Neville's life and felt himself lucky to see her when she first held Neville in her arms. Now, as they sat on his bed, he felt himself lucky again. Here, with Hermione, it felt right. He wasn't sure why, but it did. He felt a pang of guilt reside in his heart and so, he stood up and walked to his window. He hoped if he didn't watch Hermione with Neville, the feeling would go away; the feeling and the guilt that came with it every time he was around the two of them.

***

Ron sat in the dim restaurant with Lavender sitting across from him in a skin-tight, maroon dress. As she pondered over the menu of what to order, Ron examined her in a fashion he did with the other girls Hermione had set him up with. Her hair fell to her mid back and was a dull blonde. Nothing spectacular there. Her eyes, the last time he looked at them a few moments prior, were a plain blue. He had seen that same shade of blue everywhere. She wasn't the most beautiful person he had ever seen. Frankly, she was plain. However, appearances weren't big to him, and he prided himself of that. It was her personality that worried him the most. Plain looking or not, Lavender's personality was the one thing that either drew people to her, or cast them away from her sight.

She looked up slightly and looked at him through slightly-lowered lashes, "Like what you see Ronald?"

"I was just waiting to see if you were done and ready to order," Ron replied casually as he placed his menu aside.

When she nodded and also set aside her menu, a waiter was there in record time, taking their orders. When the waiter had left, Ron was grasping at threads for conversation,

"So, what have you been up to since Hogwarts?" Ron inquired,

"I'm a secretary to Madame Minister herself," Lavender boasted, "Quite the position, I know? I get to be with the Minister every day. Not many people are so fortunate as I."

Ron rolled his eyes discreetly as he looked away, "Why are you bragging about this to me? She's my sister-in-law, Penelope did – after all – marry Percy. I see her every Sunday for lunch." He returned his gaze at her.

Lavender blushed a shade of red before calming down and continued as if she had not been embarrassed, "What about you Ron? What have you been doing since we left Hogwarts? Riding a broom stick professionally I assume?" She mocked,

Ron locked eyes with her. If she wanted to throw low blows at him, he'd take them and counter them back, "Actually, it's only the beginning of this year that I've begun playing for the Chudley Cannons." Lavender's jaw dropped slightly, "I'm sure you've heard of us? So far our season is 6-0. In first place actually."

"I guess I've been too busy to stop and watch such juvenile a sport," Lavender regained her composer, "And what about before that? It took you four years to get on the team? Not something one would brag about Ron."

"Actually, I would've gone there right after Hogwarts. But I decided to go for Auror trainings right after school. It takes a good three years to be finally qualified. Of course, it was difficult with the war during that time," Ron replied casually, "but besides being a fully qualified Auror and professional Quidditch player, my life's been pretty mundane."

Lavender was fuming underneath her make up and Ron could tell. He relished in the thought of it before scolding himself internally. He knew Lavender and himself could not be together again, and this conversation proved it. He shouldn't be enjoying the feeling of embarrassing Lavender.

"Ron, I've come to this conclusion that we have a lot of skeletons in our closets," Lavender said coolly, "but, I think we can still make it."

"Oh really?" Ron asked as he raised a curious eyebrow, intrigued to see where she was going with this. If she's really changed,' he thought, she'll prove it now.'

"Yes. There's just one thing I want," Lavender explained. Ron inclined his head, signaling her to continue, "Don't ever see Hermione Granger again."

Ron sat back in his chair, crossing his arms across his chest, "Really? And why would you want that?"

"It's simple Ron, we went through this when we first dated in Seventh Year," Lavender reminded, "I know how it is between the two of you. Ron, if she wanted to be with you, don't you think she'd already gotten together with you by now? Besides, you and I both know she's the mother to Neville Longbottom's child." She leaned back in her chair with a twisted smile and smug expression in her eyes.

Ron's jaw dropped as he stared at her in dead shock. "I thought you were delusional when you mentioned me never seeing one of my best friends ever again, but it shocks me to hear you say she's the mother of Neville Longbottom's child. That just confirms you belong in a mental institution," Ron laughed as he stood up from the table,

"Don't deny it Ron! Why else would she name her son Neville?" Lavender demanded,

"Because Hermione and the father of her son wanted to name their son after a person who, not only meant a great deal to the both of them, but saved both their lives during the war," Ron informed,

"How do I know you're not lying?" Lavender inquired,

"Well, first off, Hermione's never thought of Neville as more than a brotherly figure and, if you've forgotten, Neville died in the first year of the war after Seventh Year. Meaning he wasn't around to get Hermione pregnant. He took down six Death Eaters right before he was killed," Ron said in a dark tone, "It wouldn't be wise to forget the dead and their sacrifices Lavender." He turned to leave,

"Wait." Sighing, he turned back to face her, "That still doesn't deny the fact she has a child Ron. And the father of her son, what about him? Even if they're not together, if you two got together, you'd always be third in her heart! Her son and the father would always be placed before you."

Ron nodded as he said calmly, "I know Lavender. As they should be placed in her heart. I can't believe you act like a friend to Hermione and the second her back's turned you're already insulting her and bringing up accusations attempting to make me end my friendship with her. Don't you ever do that again Lavender," he looked darkly at her; threateningly even. "If you cause Hermione or her son any problems, I will make your life a living hell. Do I make myself clear?"

Lavender nodded as she swallowed the lump which had formed in her throat, "Very clear."

He turned to leave but paused before taking a step away from the table. He smirked as he looked at her over his shoulder, "It wasn't wise to say those things so freely in a public restaurant Lavender. The father of Hermione's child is in this restaurant."

Lavender grew a shade of brightest cherry, "Where!?"

Ron scoffed, "Why should I tell you? So you can go and slander his good name behind his back? Goodbye Lavender." Not allowing her another word, he strode out of the restaurant – leaving Lavender with her thoughts and her embarrassment.

***

Hermione looked up from her seat by her bay window when she heard a noise coming from down the hall. Uncertainly, she put down her mug of hot chocolate and grasped her wand in the other hand. Swiftly, she crossed the floor to the door and opened it with the most subtlety she could muster. She saw the door to Neville's room open. Taking a deep breath, she jumped in the doorway, wand pointed.

"Ron, if you keep entering the house without telling me, I'll kill you one of these days!" Hermione scolded as she dropped her arm to her side,

"Well why should I announce my arrival? I do have a key," Ron reminded as he walked away from Neville's gated bed. "Sorry I scared you, I just wanted to make sure Neville was here before I came to see you."

"It was one night I didn't tell you where he was," Hermione rolled her eyes as she retreated back to her room, Ron in toe.

He closed the door behind him and walked over to her bed, laying down as she sat back by the bay window.

"Why are you here so early?" Hermione inquired as she finished the last of her hot chocolate and placed it on the ground,

"We had a rough game today. I'm tired," Ron explained, "and since your house is closest, I thought I might as well sleep here."

"That's not what I meant," Hermione said, "what happened with Lavender?"

"Mione, I told you that appearances are deceiving," Ron said,

"What are you playing at?" Hermione asked hesitantly,

"Let's just say she hasn't changed a single bit since Hogwarts Mione," Ron answered simply as he closed his eyes,

"How do you know? Did she do anything?" Hermione inquired,

"Oh yeah," Ron answered, "She did a lot."

"Like-?" Hermione egged on,

"Hermione, just let it rest," Ron said,

"Ron!" She flung her feet over the edge, knocking the mug over and it broke to shard. She cursed and stepped down to get the broom close by. She jumped back onto the window seat with a loud yell.

Ron sat up straight and stared at her, "What happened?" Hermione was too busy with the pain in her feet to answer, but Ron soon realized what happened when he saw the broken pieces of porcelain on the ground. "Bloody hell, Mione."
Taking out his wand, he pointed to the shards. Summoning them to all float, he sent them flying into the bin. He knelt down before her. Cringing at the sight of several shards impaled into her feet, he went to grab one.

She grabbed his wrist, stopping him, "Ron, don't." He looked up at her in confusion and saw the tears pouring down her face. He nodded, realizing it would hurt even more if he took them out by hand. He stood up, put an arm behind her back and behind her knees and picked her up, "What are you-?"

He walked her over to the bathroom and sat her down on the closed toilet seat and elevated her feet on the rim of the tub. Kneeling down before her again, Ron took out his wand, "Mione, will you be okay?"

She nodded violently as she closed her eyes tightly. One by one, he summoned the shards out of her feet. A cry escaped each time a shard was set free from her skin. By the time all the shards – seven rather large shards and ten smaller pieces – were out of her feet, blood was dripping down the edges of the tub, both in and out, onto the small rug before the tub.

"It'll take forever to get those stains out of the rug," Hermione sighed as she wiped away her tears. She had watched Ron the entire time. She examined him as he worked on the shards and she realized there was something different about Ron. Something was there that she hadn't realized before.

Ron, who had been silent the entire time, took off his dress shirt and magicked it to rip apart.

Hermione gasped, "Ron! That's your dress shirt!"

"I know Mione," Ron said as he took one half and wrapped it around her left foot, tying it securely, "but you need something to cover these wounds so they can begin healing overnight. I'm not Madame Pomfrey, but I sure as heck know what to do in these situations."

"But- that's your good shirt," Hermione reminded him,

"Mione," he looked up at her as he finished securing the last of his shirt around her right foot, "I know already. Besides, they have Lavender stench on them."

He stood up and dusted off his dark pants. He reached down to help her up. She swung her legs off of the tub's edge and, grabbing his hands, she stood up. Pain immediately stung her feet and she clung onto his arms for support, "Ron, could you please?"

He picked her up once again like before and carried her back to her room.

***

Placing Hermione down gently on her bed, Ron sat down beside her, "They'll probably still hurt tomorrow."

"Thanks for the warning," she smirked up at him, her face visible as moonlight flooded into the secluded room. "So, what happened with Lavender?"

"Mione- this conversation is what caused you to your feet slashed like that," Ron said with a warning tone, hinting her to stop asking,

"No Ron, your stubbornness to answer me did," she defended, "You might as well tell me! I'll find out one way or another. Lavender will tell me."

"Lavender will tell you a whole bunch of lies," He corrected quickly. She shot him a quizzical expression, Mione, one of the reasons I broke it off with Lavender back in Seventh Year was because she talked about you behind your back."

Her jaw dropped slightly, "One of the reasons? What else is there besides one of my so-called friends from Hogwarts talking behind my back?" Ron shook his head, "Ron, tell me."

"No, this subject is obviously upsetting you. I won't say another word," Ron said sternly,

"Ronald Weasley. You will tell me. I deserve to kn-"

"She wanted me to stop being friends with you," he interrupted as he looked out the window, avoiding eye contact.

Hermione sat in shocked silence. "And she asked you that tonight, right? She asked if you two were going to be together you'd have to stop being friends with me?" He nodded, still not looking at her, "And you said yes. You came by tonight to say goodbye to Neville and me because you've decided to stop being friends with me."

He jerked his head at her, eyebrows narrowed, "Hermione you know me better than that! You think I'd give up our friendship over some other girl?"

"But you should if she's the one!" Hermione exclaimed,

"She's not!" Ron insisted aggressively, "Mione, she even brought Neville into the conversation trying to sway me towards her and away from you. You think I'd want to be with someone who would try to use my son as a way to separate me from the mother of my child - my best friend since First Year?"

"So you told her you're Neville's father?" Hermione inquired,

"She didn't deserve to know," Ron spat, "trust me, she is NOT the one."

"You've found the one though, haven't you? That's why you look so serene and- different? As if you've had an immense epiphany of some sort." Ron nodded, "So who is it?"

"It's someone who you spend every day with, so you know she's perfect in every way. The girl you've been trying to help me find, and all of this time she's been right here," Ron explained,

"Ron you've just described Lavender," Hermione said reluctantly, a certain tone to her voice.

"Do you want to see her?" Ron asked and, hesitantly, Hermione nodded. He left the room and soon returned with something in his hand. He sat back down and handed it to her.

"I'm curious to see who it is, after all, I was the one always helping you to find her. Is it Susan? Or Hannah? How about Ca-" Hermione's words caught in her throat when she turned it over to find herself looking in a mirror. She looked up at Ron who was looking out the window once more, "Ron this is-"

"Mione, I know what it is." Ron said sternly as he continued to avoid looking at her, "I realized how I felt yesterday morning and it was only confirmed tonight when I spent dinner defending you in front of Lavender. Hermione- I never stopped loving you."

"I know," she muttered as she looked down at the small mirror in her lap, catching rays of moon.

He jerked his head to look at her, "You know? How?"

"Because I never stopped loving you," she admitted, keeping her gaze down.

"You never- but then why have you been trying to get me to date other women this entire time if you knew we still loved each other?" Ron demanded,

"I was scared," She answered in a strong tone.

"Scared of what? Of me?" He asked,

"Yes!"

"Why? Why me?" He demanded,

"Because I don't want to get hurt again Ron!" Hermione exclaimed as tears brimmed her eyelids and lined her eyelashes, "I don't want to be with you if you're just going to cheat on me again. If I'm pregnant again, I don't want you leaving me again!"

He turned to face her, "I won't hurt you like I did. I didn't even know why I did what I did."

"With Lavender to boot!" Hermione reminded bitterly, "Ron, I don't want to be walking down Diagon Alley and then suddenly see you snogging in an back alley with Lavender!"

"It won't happen!" Ron insisted,

"How do I know Ron? You did it once and you could very well do it again."

"Because Neville's in our life now," Ron said softly,

"So you want to be with me so Neville doesn't have to grow up with separated parents?" Hermione spat as she threw her arms in the air exasperatedly,

"No!" Ron exclaimed as he collected her hands in his, "No, that's not it," he sat closer to her and forced her to look at him, "I want to be with you because I love you. I'll never hurt you again because I love you. I was an idiot and I didn't realize back then that the most wonderful love I had in my life was you."

"I want to believe you Ron, I do believe you. But a part of me still doesn't know if I can trust you again like that," Hermione cried as she looked into his blue eyes which screamed sincerity.

"I was there when you found out you were pregnant at the Healer's office. I was there when you told your parents and then when you told my parents at their graves. I was there when you gave birth to Neville. I've been here every day of your life," Ron reminded gently, "I'm not going to leave you now or ever. Mione, I want Neville to be a part of my life as he should be. I want to be a part of his life. I want to be a part of your life."

"You are a part of my life, Ron," Hermione insisted in a whisper,

"You know what I mean. Mione, I want to be with you again," Ron admitted,

"I don't kn-"

"When I woke up yesterday morning with you beside me and in my arms, it felt right! When we were in the Burrow and we were there together, you, me and Neville – it felt right.

"Hermione," he took her face in his hands, "I want to wake up everyday with you in my arms. I want to live each day by your side. I want to be with you while we watch Neville grow up. I want to be the one to give you a second child and be the one at your side when you give birth to that child. I want to be the one you come home to every night. I want you to be the one who kisses me before and after my matches. I want to not only be your best friend but your boyfriend; lover; husband; confidante; partner in crime; father of your child- I want to be everything you look for in a man."

She tried to look away in order to conceal the tears, but he moved her head so she was looking at him again and he held a stern yet gentle grip on her face. Tears trickled down her cheeks as he gazed into her chocolate eyes. He moved so he was now kneeling beside her, "Look at me. I am not lying to you. I am a man, on my knees and begging for forgiveness. Begging my sins be forgiven and forgotten. Begging that the one woman – the one I have only ever loved and do love and will ever love – will give me another chance."

Tenderly, she pushed back a lock of hair which had fell out of place across his forehead, "I'll give you another chance if you give me one."

"For what?" Ron inquired curiously,

"Pushing you away the past two years since after the war. For pushing you into the arms of other women," Hermione said softly, "For being a horrible friend in the fact I could not trust you fully even though you're right. You've been there for me every step of the way, even after we broke up."

He kissed her then and there, too deliriously happy to allow another word stall this moment he had been hoping for. It was in that brief moment that Ron found out that he knew she was the one for him all along just that it had taken a few years and some trivialities for him to come to that realization. It was passionate and sweet at the same time. It was infused with both lust, love and a tenderness she felt spread throughout her body. The sensation was both familiar, yet new as if they had never been together. It was like their first kiss, as if they had come full circle.

"Are we interrupting something?"

They pulled away quickly: Ron stumbling to his feet and Hermione pushing away the furious blush creeping on her cheeks.
Looking at the door they saw two people, one of them holding their son.

"When did you get back, Gin?" Ron inquired as he approached his sister who had interrupted their explosive kiss. He kissed her on the forehead, "And why in Merlin's name did you wake up Neville?"

"Oh please, he was practically calling out for his Auntie," Ginny said dramatically as she walked over to the bed, sat and greeted with Hermione.

"Is Ginny really telling the truth?" Ron turned to Ginny's fiancé of two years,

"You know you're sister mate, she loves her nephew," He grinned as he embraced Ron, "It's good to see you Ron."

"You too Harry. It seems like ages since you left," Ron offered a lop-sided grin,

"It was only three weeks," Ginny reminded as she handed a fidgeting little Neville to his mother, "It didn't even seem that long, right Harry?"

"Right m'dear, it seemed longer," Harry smirked as she gave him a scowl, "Just joking my love," he insisted as he walked over, giving Hermione a kiss on the cheek and ruffled the little crown of hair on Neville's head. "How is my other best friend?" Harry inquired as he sat at the bay window, "and her handsome son?"

"She is quite well and he is growing too fast for his mother's liking," Hermione beamed at him.

"I still think it was nice of you guys to name your son after Neville," Ginny admitted,

"Neville Longbottom was and still is a dear friend to both of us," Hermione explained as she let Neville crawl around the bed, "not to mention he saved both of our lives in the war before he died."

"We thought if we were going to name our son after someone, it should be someone of honor, loyalty and true bravery," Ron added, "I will personally tell him the history of his name."

Harry and Ginny nodded in agreement.

"You know," Hermione began as Ron walked over and stood against the wall beside Harry. "you shouldn't leave for too long Harry. Ron mopes around too much."

"He wasn't moping when we entered," Harry smirked,

"Cheeky prat," Ron muttered as he playfully punched Harry then headed over to the bed, "Don't listen to Mione either. I don't mope."

"No, you whine, cry, rant, have tantrums-" Ginny listed as she switched places with her brother and stood next to Harry. "Only joking," she added after he shot her a dark look, "So, what was going on when we entered?"

"Nothing," Ron said simply as Neville began to crawl towards his lap. He absent-mindedly faced his palm up on his knee so his son could playfully punch at it. "Nothing at all."

"I just helped Ron finally find the one," Hermione explained casually as she tore her eyes away from the heartbreakingly sweet scene of Ron and their son,

"Yeah, I kept my promise Harry," Ron glanced at them, "I was just thanking Hermione as you guys walked in."

"So you guys are getting back together?" Ginny squealed and they both nodded in a calm demeanor, but happiness and joy shone through. She gave them both a hug just before snatching Neville from Ron, "Congratulations you two!"

"You only congratulated us so you could take Neville," Ron accused as he rolled his eyes at his sister.

Harry glared at Ginny when she returned to his side, "How come you never thank me like that?"

Ron let out a hearty laugh, "Maybe she's not the one for you. Actually she is the one for you, mate and it hasn't hit her yet. She'll thank you when it hits. But I'm telling you mate, I've found the one and only for me."

With that, Ron pulled Hermione to him by the collar and pressed his lips against hers in a swift and passion-filled kiss. Pulling back, he looked at her deep brown eyes with his cerulean baby blues,

"I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment