"Something wrong mate? You know the girl?"

"I think,"

"He
thinks... what kind of answer is that? Leave it to a girl to cause a bloke's mind to malfunction."

Remus, James & Sirius; Not Just Puppy Love


Thursday, July 21, 2011

[OS] Unneeded Thank-You

As I sat in the darkness I remembered a time a few years ago when I was still in Hogwarts. A time were terror rang throughout the land; when the Dark Lord Voldemort reigned the darkness and fed off our fears. It was hard to go outside those days and the sun outside didn't seem to be as bright as before. Then before my 7th year at Hogwarts had ended I remembered the war that had begun amongst the dark wizards and the good wizards. I lost so many friends in that war and people's true colors shone those days.

Neville Longbottom was a stronger person than anyone had ever imagined. His courage truly shone that day when he took a Death Eater by himself head on. He didn't overcome the Death Eater without the help of Seamus and Ron, but his courage was unmatchable!

Pansy Parkinson was a coward during the entire thing. I never saw her once during the war and I heard other Slytherins saying that she and other Slytherins were hiding in their common room.

Ernie McMillan always bothered me with his smart mouth and his bossiness, but during that time he never gave up. I saw him several times fall in battle but not once did he give in or surrender. I recalled him pushing a Slytherin out of the way of a deadly curse. That really showed what type of person Ernie was when he pushed Draco out of the way. He was lucky enough to dodge the curse himself.

Yes, those were definitely dark times and it was even harder during the aftermath of the war. Millions were injured and thousands had perished. Hundreds of Mystical Creatures had died including Firenze the centaur and Aragog the giant Spider. Many of my fellow students died as well including Dean Thomas, Pavarti Patil, Dennis Creevy, Blaise Zambini, Gregory Goyle, Luna Lovegood and Justin Finch-Fletchley.

It was the hardest times I've seen the Wizarding world go through. One thing I can never forget was when I was about to be added to the list of deceased.


"Colin run! There's nothing you can do now! We can't save Dennis, you have to get back inside that castle!" I yelled at Colin who was still mourning over Dennis' body,

"But, I can't just hide inside the castle!"

"I can't let Dennis' death be in vain! If you die too then his sacrifice for you will be a waste!" I insisted and it killed me at the time to yell at Colin.

Tears poured from his eyes as he knelt by Dennis' lifeless body. Finally he wiped away his tears, picked up Dennis and ran into Hogwarts' castle. I watched him run into the castle almost forgetting about the war around me. Suddenly as I turn around things seemed to go in slow motion.

"Avada-" I heard a cloaked figure being,

"Expelliarmus!" I cried and saw the Death Eater's wand fly out of his hand but he caught it in mid air and pointed it at me again,

"Avada Ked-"



Before the Death Eater could finish all I remember was falling to the ground by a powerful force, hearing a second voice cast the same deadly curse and everything going dark. Those were dark ages indeed and I couldn't have gotten through them without my friends and my beloved.


In the dead of night, I sat in a dark room slowly rocking back and forth on an old wooden rocking chair. Moonlight shone into the room but just ever so slightly. The house was in a complete mute mode and nothing seemed to be moving. I could barely hear myself breathing, but I did and I felt my heart reek of pain and cry of sorrow.

How long have I felt this pain and sorrow? It mustn't have been long for the feeling seemed unfamiliar. Unfamiliar probably because I was happy once, yes, very happy. I had my beloved by my side everyday and I had my friends love and support. I was even more happy because I had a little bundle of joy beginning to grow within me- those were the days.


"Wait, wait, wait! Did you say you were pregnant?" My red-headed friend asked me her eyes gleaming with excitement.

I nodded my head with equal amounts of excitement, "I just took the test today and it came out positive! I went to the healer's after and they say I've only been pregnant for about a week or so."

"When are you going to tell him? Tonight?" she squealed.

I crossed my arms and scrunched my face up in thought, when was I going to tell him? "I want it to be special when I tell him so we can both enjoy the news, you know? I don't want to come in while he's reading the Daily Prophet and just say it casually."

"Oh you and your "special" ways. So dramatic!" she flung her arms in the air in frustration, "Really girl, either way you say it he'll still be excited!"

I had to give her credit, she was right.



That was one of the happiest days of my life, besides my wedding day of course. My thoughts broke as I felt a hand on my shoulder. Not even caring to look up I continued my gentle rocking. For days on end I sat in that chair and never left it for more than 2 minutes. He knelt down beside my chair and put a mug in front of me full of coffee. I took it and held it on my lap. Finally I lifted the mug to my lips and the aroma filled my nostrils and I closed my eyes as I took a slow sip.

"You've been sitting here for days," he said suddenly, "I know how depressed you are because I'm going through what you're going through."

I placed the mug back down on my lap as I looked at him. I placed the mug on a table nearby and I looked at him once again. I stroked his smooth, pale skin with him left hand. I longed for him for days; I longed for someone to clear my heart of the pain and sorrow; longed for a time where such sorrow didn't exist in my life, where everything was still perfect in my eyes.


Later that night when I had found out I was pregnant I told him and my friend was right, he was still excited as ever. One week after we went to the healer's to make sure everything was going well with the baby. That was the day my world seemed to end.


We sat there excitedly in the healer's office. He gripped my hand as a signal of comfort for me and I appreciated that. A few minutes ago the healers had taken tests on me to assure the baby was developing well and healthy. The healer came in with a folder in her hands as she sat down at her desk she opened up the folder and looked through several papers.

The anxiety inside me grew and I couldn't hold in my excitement any longer, "Well ma'am? Is our baby well?"

She remained silent for a few seconds, seconds which seemed like hours to me. Finally she looked up at us in a calm yet serious manner,

"I would like to say that, I really would," she began slowly, "Unfortunately according to our tests your baby hasn't been developing well at all."

I began to tremble slightly and I felt his grip around my hand tighten slightly to give me a sense of strength,

"What do you mean?" he asked knowing well I couldn't sum up the strength to ask myself,

"Well from the tests we took it seems that your baby has stopped developing. Your body has begun to reject the baby. All we can assume is that something is wrong with its number of chromosomes and that's why the body is rejecting. In other ways you've had a miscarriage."

The words were like daggers to my heart and I just lost control of my emotions. He held me then and there. The healer provided comfort and left us alone to give us time.



However there was never enough time for me to accept what happened.

"I know," I said finally, "it was unfair of me to stay here these past days,"

"No, you needed time to cope with what happened to your baby, our baby," He said as he cradled my face in his hands, "We'll get through this. Next time it won't happen and months later we'll have a baby with us in this house. We'll get through this together."

He kissed my forehead and tears trickled down my face as I realized how lucky I was to have him. He pulled back and wiped away my tears,

"Thank you," I said in barely a whisper and he gave me a quizzical expression, "You've been there for me for a long time. You've stood by me through some of the roughest times of my life. No matter how rocky we were in the beginning we made it through all right. Now after the miscarriage you continue to stay with me and support me and love me. I'm truly lucky to have you and I've never thanked you."

He shook his head as he was kneeling before me, "You don't need to thank me because I did it because I cared, not to be thanked. I'll stay with you forever because I love you."

"But still, you saved me from that Death Eater years ago, you sat with me in the healer's office when we were first told and now you're with me, comforting me as I try to piece back the meaning of my happiness."

I wrapped my arms around him and dug my face into his shoulder as I cried and not for sadness as I had done so the previous days but of joy for knowing how lucky I was to have him.

"I love you, Mione," he said as he stroked my hair,

Smiling to myself I knew I'd be able to live life again to have my perfect' world full of happiness. I knew that together I'd be able to get through this miscarriage with him and whilst thinking this I whispered back to him,

"I love you too, Draco."

No comments:

Post a Comment