"Something wrong mate? You know the girl?"

"I think,"

"He
thinks... what kind of answer is that? Leave it to a girl to cause a bloke's mind to malfunction."

Remus, James & Sirius; Not Just Puppy Love


Thursday, July 21, 2011

[OS] Before the I-Do's

I couldn't believe this day had come. As I stood there beneath the winter sky, I thought of why I was standing there. There, in a field covered by a thin layer of snow. There, where the indigo sky above was brilliantly lit up by twinkling lights of the heavens. There, where chairs were set up in rows, divided in the middle by a white velvet carpet trimmed with gold thread. There, where torches floated around the area while floating candles danced up and down both sides of the aisle. There, waiting for this moment that I knew would come, yet never would have pictured it as I saw it before my eyes now.

There was a quiet murmur amongst those who preoccupied the rows of chairs, all slightly shivering beneath their winter robes and cloaks, despite the heating charms they may have placed. I myself was feeling the chill on my skin, despite my expensive, fur-lined cloak and supposedly-efficient heating charm. But the fact that the cold was slowly reaching my nether regions didn't bother me like I presumed it would. No. Nothing mattered besides the fact that I was there, at that moment, waiting for her.

I still remembered the day when we first made contact with each other. We said words to each other in passing before, but the first time we actually talked more than a few words- that was the moment I knew I had met my match-



I was on my way, heading back to the Head Student dormitories on the eighth floor, when I caught a glimpse of something running past the corridor. It was well past midnight. Merlin's socks, it was nearly dawn and I began to wonder who was mad enough to be up at this hour. After reminding myself that I was up myself going for a midnight-early morning stroll, I sprinted down the corridor towards whatever it was I saw.

Turning the corner into the corridor it was in, I immediately found myself tumbling in the air and landing – quite uncomfortably – on my tailbone with my head against the floor. Getting my senses back, I sat up and absentmindedly rubbed the sore spot at the back of my head as I scowled at the pain I felt at the base of my spine. Whipping out my wand, I pointed it in the direction of what I had tripped over,

"Lumos! Let's see what this bloody- Weasley?"

"I'm sorry I didn't- oh. It's you." Was her reply.

Standing up and brushing off my robes, I glowered down at her, "What in Merlin's name are you doing there, sitting in the dark- near a turn no less!?"

"I'm sorry Malfoy, I wasn't aware there were rules to where one could sit!" she spat back as she glared up at me.

"Well there are when people can't see a bloody thing and you sit in a highly traffic area!" I accused, "Besides, it's way past curfew! I think I'll dock a few hundred points for THIS stunt –"

"I'd like to see you try," she cut me off in a tartly tone.

"You think I bluff?"

"I'm a prefect you bloody Slytherin. I'm allowed to be out past curfew." She reminded in an exasperated tone.

"Well then, I guess I'll just have to let you off the hook."

"I was never ON the hook to begin with!" She stood up finally and glared at me in what looked like defiance. "You think you're so superior, strutting around the school as if the rest of us are dirt. But what you don't see is that everyone looks down on you. Even if every girl in this school swoons at your presence, deep inside they just pity you!" she accentuated each word with a rough poke in my chest.

Irritated with being poked, I grabbed her wrist and pulled her closer to me until I was looking directly down into her eyes, "Does that mean deep inside you pity me too?"

"What are you on about now?" She questioned as she struggled to release her hand from my grasp,

"Well, you said even if every girl in this school swoons at my presence, deep inside they just pity me, right? Well, I've seen you glancing at my way every time we're in the same room," I drawled,

"In your dreams, Malfoy!" she spat,

"On the contrary Weasley. Whenever I have to deal with the pathetic squabbles your brother and the other two of the Golden Trio start up, I see you around and watching," I taunted,

"Oh, get over yourself!" Her free hand came up and hit me square in the cheek.

Instinctively, I grabbed that hand and held it tightly, "Oh, it's physically impossible for me to get over myself. However, it is quite physically possible for you to get under me. I know you want to."

"Oh, Malfoy, you're so right!" She said in a voice too sweet for sugar candy. Then a glint of mischievousness crossed her eyes, "But there's one problem." She glanced down me and then back up to my eyes.

"I assure you, there is no problem with that," I said, smirking at her,

"But there is.. you're just not aware of it yet," she said as she voluntarily leaned closer to me,

"Oh? And what would that be?" I inquired,

"This-" she said in a hushed voice milliseconds before a jolt of pain ran up and down my body. She retracted her knee from a certain nether region and as the pain only strengthened with time, she was able to pull herself away from me. I collapsed against the wall, trying to remember any pain-subsiding spells.

"You smarmy little-" I forced the words to form and create sound,

"Now you'll think twice before you try to seduce Ginevra Weasley!" She said in smug tones as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"So I did seduce you?" I managed a smirk at her as I saw her get flustered in the light from my wand.

"I- That's not what I- No, you did NOT seduce me!" She finally stated,

"Abbassisi-" I hissed and I felt the pain immediately disappear. Finally gaining my strength, I stood up my full height just moments before she realized that I had healed myself. I stalked her until she pulled out her wand and pointed it straight back at me,

"Don't you dare try anything, Malfoy! I've hexed you once, I'll do it again!" She threatened,

"Don't lie to yourself Weasley,"

"I'm not! I swear on Merlin's socks I'll hex you –"

"I meant don't lie that I didn't seduce you," I interrupted and approached her once more as she became flustered again.

"You- I- You did NOT seduce me!" She repeated, her wand hand beginning to slightly tremble.




She was a vixen, a spiteful little creature that knew how to respond to my remarks. She was everything I could ever want in another person. She was intelligent yet knew how to live life. She was well-mannered but was able to lash out when the time called for it. She was everything I was not and because of that, she made me complete. It was hard to believe this day had come.

---

I couldn't believe this day had come. As I stood within the white tent, I nervously twisted a handkerchief in my hands, wondering what lead me to be standing there. There, standing amongst my closets of girl friends. There, waiting for my father to come and fetch me. There, in a white silk dress, sprinkled in real diamonds. There, knowing that I was about to make the biggest step in my life. There, knowing that a person who loved me for such a long time, awaited for me at the end of an aisle. There, waiting for this moment that I knew would come, yet never would have pictured it as I saw it before my eyes now.

I heard the hushing of voices as all those present outside of the tent begin to find comfortable positions in their seats within the cold and readying themselves for a wedding no one saw coming. I felt a hand on shoulder and looked up to find my mother staring at me.

"It's almost time sweetheart," she smiled encouragingly, "I'll be by your side." With a quick peck on my cheek and one more sunshine-filled smile, my mother exited the tent.

I walked to the back of the tent as my bridesmaids began to arrange themselves, preparing to lead me towards the alter. A hand covered my clenched ones and I found myself staring into the eyes of my brother.

"Ron, you're supposed to be out there!" I whispered frantically, not wanting anything to go wrong this night.

He released the handkerchief I nearly tore to shreds as he gave me a lop-sided grin, "I know, but I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Yes, yes, now go! The bridesmaids have already left!" I hissed as I saw the last of the pale yellow dresses slip out of the tent.

He nodded and gave me a quick kiss and turned on his heel. Before leaving the tent, he paused at the opening,

"Gin, I want you to know that I'll always be here for you."

Before I could get a word out, he left. My father poked his head in the next second, "Sweetie, it's time."

I exhaled a breath I hadn't realized I had held and joined him. Locking my arm with his, he began to lead me towards the aisle.

When I finally got the nerve to look up, my eyes fell upon him. He seemed to stand so far away, but I knew he was closer than how it seemed. When he looked up into my eyes, I saw a reflection of my own feelings and immediately felt a tugging at my heart. Those eyes seemed to be so different, from the eyes I was drawn to so long ago -



I threw my books down on the ground and did a 180 degree turn.
"THIS IS CALLED STALKING MALFOY!" I growled as he casually approached me.

"I thought it was called a corridor. Forgive my misunderstanding," he drawled, "But since we're on the topic of corridors and misunderstandings, I'd love an explanation for that display you presented with Finnigan this morning. You know, on how a movie can get a rating of R."

"Snogging is hardly that terrible." I scoffed, "Especially with Seamus." Glancing at him as I picked up my books, I saw a flash of something in his eyes, "Why Mr. Malfoy, if I didn't know any better, I would think you were jealous!"

"Why would I be jealous of that pathetic excuse for a man?" He questioned nonchalantly,

"Because he's with me? Because he can fly circles around you? Because he knows how to satisfy his women?" I caught a glimpse of his eyebrows slightly furrowing. I had found his bane. "I've heard a word or two here and there about your own performances actually, Malfoy. Let me say that they are completely dissatisfying and are completely shadowed by Seamus'. I mean, this morning alone probably outshines all of –"

Before I could tell what was happening, his lips were on mine. When he finally pulled back, he glared down at me, catching his breath,

"Was that also dissatisfying?" He questioned as he held my head in his hands.

"No," I replied indifferently. I reached out and tucked a lock of hair, misplaced from our lust-driven activities, behind his hear, "But who's seducing who, now?"




After that, we had a pathetic excuse of a relationship based solely on lust. Unbelievable as it may seemed, the time we spent after the passion of the night, we would talk. Through talking we built understanding and trust. From those pillars, we built our relationship. Yet, it was surprising that we never once confessed that to either of us loved the other. It was hard to believe this day had come.

I pulled my gaze away from his as I felt the tears begin to form and I refused to cry on this day of all days, even if it was because of him. When I finally looked up again, my father and I had reached the alter and he was already giving my hand away.

As my soon-to-be-husband held my hand in his, he smiled. I thanked the veil designer for making it so my face would be covered so efficiently because I knew his smile would turn to a frown of worry if he saw my eyes red and holding back tears I wanted to cry.

As the priest began the ceremony, my eyes wandered anywhere but to in front of me. Finally, they made rest on Ron's face which was looking back at me. After he looked at me in a stern expression, he turned his attention to the priest.

By the time it came for vows and saying I do's', I knew the tears had dried themselves out and I looked perfectly normal again. Turning towards the priest, he began,

"The groom and bride have both decided to say their own vows in order to make it more personal and straight from their hearts. The groom will begin." The priest took a step back.

He held my hand firmly as he looked down at me. I concentrated on him as I heard a rustle behind the crowd and brushed the thought from mind. "Ginevra, Ginny, Gin- from the moment I first met you, I knew there was something different. You have supported me through the ups and downs of my life and it's hard for me to believe that after everything we've been through in Hogwarts and after, that you chose me to be your husband. I consider myself lucky to have found you and to have you love me back as I love you. I cannot promise now that I'll be faithful, that I will love you forever or that I'll always be honest and trusting of you."

A collective gasp, along with my own, went into the air,

"I cannot, because I made that promise the first time I realized I was in love with you so many years ago."

I don't know whether it were the sighs in the crowd or that of my own that was louder when he continued with that.

"My hope is that no matter what, we will always be there for each other."

Unceremoniously, I pushed the veil back to uncover my face as I looked into his eyes and I saw that he meant more than what was said in his final sentence of his vows to me. Absent-mindedly, I threw him a quizzical expression as the priest grunted to notify that it was my turn to say my vows. However, when he nodded as an answer to the question roaming within my head, I knew that I would not get my turn to say the vows I had prepared and perfected before this moment.

"I love you wholeheartedly, more than anyone can know. However," I heard the crowd hold its breath, "I'm sorry that it is not in the way which it should be. Yes, I love you so much, but not in a way more so than I love my own brothers. I have dreamt about this moment from the first time I saw you and would have gladly given you my heart, but now that this moment has finally arrived, I apologize for not being able to." I reached out and held the side of his face with my hand, "You already know I gave my heart away to another person a long time ago before we were even first got together after my graduation."

The breath everyone was holding was let out in gasps as a murmur fell upon our guests,

"I'm sorry, I cannot marry you." I finally whispered.

He shook his head as he took my hands in his and kissed them, "I know sweetheart. It wasn't right that I propose in the first place when I knew you loved me but wasn't in love with me."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and he embraced me. "Thank you. I'm sorry I couldn't love you back."

"It's okay. You loved me the best you could," he said into my ear, "Go to him, Gin."

I pulled back and looked up at him and he was beaming down at me. I kissed him on the cheek as I ran towards Ron, "Thank you."

Smiling his trade-mark smile and nodding, I turned back to the guests as my now-ex-fiancé acknowledged them, "I completely apologize for having you all waste your time in coming here. However, there is still food at the reception area and it would be a shame it all go to spoil! You may all begin making your way to the ballroom in my home."

As the guests began standing and collecting their items, all became quiet as I ran down the aisle and stood amongst a shadow of trees by myself. I swirled around, my train becoming somewhat twisted amongst the snow as I knew tears and confusion contorted the expression of happiness which graced my face just seconds ago.

Ron spotted me when he realized the crowd had silenced itself and must have felt I was in confusion. He tapped on the ex-groom's shoulder and gestured towards me. He looked down at the ground then back at me. When I mirrored him, I glanced back up at him, smiling in thanksgiving. Quickly, I followed the footprints I found all thanks to my ex-fiancé; Harry James Potter.

---

I continued on my way past Potter's home as quickly as I could. I wanted to apparate the moment the priest mentioned the beginning of vows being exchanged, but damn that Potter and the wards surrounding his property. He may be one of the best Aurors in the business, but it didn't mean he couldn't be paranoid about his home.

I cursed the wizard who invented heating charms and demanded in my mind why they had not created it so that it lasted longer than a couple of minutes. When I finally reached the edge of Potter's property, I happily crossed over and prepared myself for apparation when I heard a voice calling my name. Her voice.
Turning around, I saw her running towards me through the snow, grasping clumps of her dress in her hands as means of making it easier on herself to walk. However, even that did not stop her from stumbling. When she was feet away from me, she tripped over her dress and fell hand first in the snow.

I was at her side in seconds, bending over to help her up. The moment she was on her feet again, I let go and began on my way,

"Draco, wait."

I turned back to face her, "Why are you here?"

"I lost you once, I'm not going to lose you again." She explained sternly as she approached me, slowly this time to insure she wouldn't fall again.

"What about Potter? You're just going to leave him at the alter to come after me?" I questioned,

"Don't you get it? I don't love Harry! I never did in that way!" She replied.

I turned around and continued, "Then it's a good think you realized that right before the I do's'."

"Draco, you stupid ferret, get it through that thick oiled-covered head of yours: I love you!"

That definitely stopped me in my tracks. I turned around, "What makes you think I love you?"

"You wouldn't be here if you didn't," she offered as she stood just a foot away from me,

I took a step forward, holding her face in my hands as I brushed a loose lock of hair from her face, "Maybe I'm just here to seduce you away from Potter and you've fallen into my trap of seduction."

Before acting, she stood on her tip toes and kissed me in a way I haven't been kissed for so long. She pulled away and I dropped my hands as she reached out and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear,
"You may have been the first to seduce me, but you have also been the first to love me and the first to steal my heart."

I lowered my lips to hers and when I pulled away, I gazed into the depths of her eyes, "I love you."

She raised a curious eyebrow at me and smirked, "Who's seducing who now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment