"Something wrong mate? You know the girl?"

"I think,"

"He
thinks... what kind of answer is that? Leave it to a girl to cause a bloke's mind to malfunction."

Remus, James & Sirius; Not Just Puppy Love


Thursday, July 21, 2011

[MWS] Seamus Finnigan - the Explosives Expert

The Many Woes of Ronald Weasley series

Part 4 | Seamus Finnigan - The Explosives Expert



One of the more noticable of wizards in my year is one Seamus Patrick Finnigan. You may have heard about his many spells which end with a bang. What no one knows is that after each explosion, he backtracks his moves and memorizes what he did so he can do it again. So, although Seamus may have many dynamic issues with spells and potion-making, in truth, he does learn from his mistakes. The problem with that, is he learns them all too well.

No one ever realizes that when Seamus makes a boom, he booms at the right time. (No pun intended) Whether it be when Snape is ragging on Harry for a potion or when McGonagall is killing us all with some drab speech on Transfiguremation. You see, Seamus wants attention. He wants people to notice him. So how does he do it? He gets in cahoots with the one person with the most attention - Harry Potter! That's why he risks getting steam from Snape when he interrupts Snape scolding Harry in potions. You see, they made a deal. Whenever Harry's getting in close to trouble with a teacher, Seamus will just make his spell or potion "go wrong". So, Harry escapes the heat and Seamus gets every eye in the room on him.

However, there's a problem with their little deal. Seamus realized that Harry will always have attention and myself, being Harry's best friend, naturally gets attention as well. Seamus is jealous. He's jealous I get attention, moreso than he does despite the little deal he has with Harry. So, what does he do? Well... I'll tell you. It all started one December day during Christmas break...



Like every year, the school was practically empty of students. Especially with the threat of Voldemort gone, more witches and wizards felt it safe again to go travelling about during the holidays. A few days before Christmas, I got up with the birds. Now, I don't usually get up that early, but for some reason, I felt the morning chill to my bone and had to wake up. When I did get up, I realized that the window between Harry's bed and my bed was open. Suspiciously, I turned to look at Harry and found that in the night the prat had stolen my blanket. I knew I shouldn't have slept that night. Harry was looking at me like I was crazy the other night too! Anyway... unable to get back to sleep, I decided to get dressed and head on down to an early breakfast.

About to head out the dorm door when who do I hear calling my name but Seamus!

"Wait up Ron, I'll go down with you!" Seamus insisted as he hopped into a pair of jeans. I watched curiously as he disappeared behind his bed with a loud thud. I nearly jumped out of my freckles when he popped up, grinning like a bloody leperchaun.

On our way down to the Great Hall, I asked Seamus, "Why are you up so early? You're usually in bed longer than I am."

Seamus shrugged as he stuck his hands into his jeans' pockets, "Heard you getting up, so I thought I'd join you for some breakfast. It'd be nice to get first picks of the food without the crowd of everyone else."

I nodded in silent agreement, eyeing him suspiciously.

When we reached the Great Hall, I wondered why I never got up earlier before. There was practically no one there. We took a seat across from each other on the Gryffindor table and began filling our plates.

"So, why'd you stay the holidays here?" Seamus asked,

"My parents went to North America to visit Bill," I explained,

"I thought he lives in Egypt," Seamus said before taking out his wand and Accio-ing himself a slice of toast.

"He does, but he told them he was spending the holidays with his girlfriend in North America. She was a cursebreaker he met in Egypt but she was transferred there," I said, "And, since Bill is the oldest, Mum's made it her first priority to make sure he's married before I leave Hogwarts." I got more eggs onto my plate before asking Seamus, "Why did you decide to stay here for the holidays? Don't you usually go to Ireland with your folks?"

"Usually, but I wanted to spend holidays with my friends. This being our last year and all," Seamus explained as he waved his wand for more toast.

I nodded in understanding while reaching for my goblet of pumpkin juice. Before it reached my lips, it exploded and I was soaked in pumpkin juice. Seamus jumped to his feet and I glared at him while slamming the debris of my goblet on the table,

He grinned sheepishly at me, "Sorry there mate, I was trying to get toast, but I guess it was the wrong spell." He picked up his own goblet and held it out to me. "Here, take mine," he offered with an encouraging smile.




I never did take his goblet. Who knows what he put in it. I bet that was his backup plan! Just in case he didn't manage to get me with the exploding pumpkin juice, he'd get me with whatever was in his pumpkin juice. I mean, isn't it suspicious that after I refuse his goblet, he doesn't take a drink from it? Not once, he doesn't take a drink from it! Of course, when I asked him later why he didn't drink any pumpkin juice he said he was 'too full to drink'. Too full? Or too fearful of what he put in his goblet!?

He knows how to control the explosions. It's not just that incident that made me suspicious about him, but I found out what he got on his O.W.L.S. in Fifth Year! He got an O in Charms! For all his casting-mishaps, he did as good as Hermione in Charms! It takes critical wand control to master Charms, Hermione told me that, so learning Seamus had such control, made me suspicious of why he always ended up blowing up whatever he was magicking. I can put two and two together and what I got was Seamus was faking it all! Then, observing his timing in classes when he made something explode, filled in the blanks!

Now, now, now.. I know what you're thinking, "Seamus isn't evil!" and "It's not his fault he has some wand problems!" But, it's not just his ability to make things explode that proves he's out to get me for my attention! Not only does he eat chocolate pudding, but he also goes to the library! He's not that good at Herbology.. BUT there is one thing - I mean, have you ever realized that Seamus is Irish!? That alone proves his evil! Why? Because what else is Irish? Leperchauns! And we all know how selfish Leperchauns are with their basket of gold! Therefore, since Leperchauns are evil and they're Irish and Seamus is Irish, it means that Seamus is evil as well! And who else is Irish!? Why, the most evillest of people ever, Draco Malfoy! I'm pretty sure he's got some Irish in him on his father's side. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Irish people are evil-- I love Irish people -- just Seamus.. and Draco. They're evil enough for the non-evil Irish people. So you see, he never accidentally blows things up, he has motives. I can prove it just by the proof that he's Irish.


(To be continued...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment