"Something wrong mate? You know the girl?"

"I think,"

"He
thinks... what kind of answer is that? Leave it to a girl to cause a bloke's mind to malfunction."

Remus, James & Sirius; Not Just Puppy Love


Thursday, July 21, 2011

[ES] The Final Meeting of Enemies

(First part of the Enemy series)

He blinked at the person standing on the front porch. That person was the last person he ever expected to see, let alone see at his house. He leaned against the door frame and just looked at him in askance,

"This is a suicide visit," he muttered as he continued to stare at him in slight confusion.

"I know," he replied as he distractedly looked around his shoulder,

"As surprising as this may seem, I have certain wards placed around my home," he said to get his attention once more, "So it's not like you'd be in any immediate danger here. Speaking of danger. Why are you here?"

"I need to talk to you."

He rolled his eyes in annoyance, "Well that's a given, Weasley. I mean why are you here to talk to me? You're the last person I'd expect to dare bother me in the middle of the night. It's nearly midnight."

"I know it's late, but I had to talk to you. Can I come in? I don't exactly feel safe out here like this where anyone can see me here." Ron said as he glared at him, proving the seriousness of the situation.

He sighed exasperatedly, "Yes, I suppose. Although I'm not sure what gives you the inane idea that you'll be more safe within my home." He stepped back out of the door way so Ron could walk in and once he was in, he closed the door behind him, placing several security charms on the door. Turning back to him, he motioned for Ron to follow and he lead Ron into the sitting room.

Upon entering, he gestured towards a pair of couches in one end of the room surrounding the fireplace. Ron slowly made his way towards them as he headed in the other direction to grab some Fire Whiskey and glasses from a cabinet in the corner.

When he returned to Ron, he poured a glass for him, one for himself and set the bottle down on a near coffee table. Placing himself across from Ron on the other couch, he flicked his wand at the fireplace and a flame ignited. Soon their area was lit by orange flames while the rays of light barely penetrated the darkness of the rest of the room. He finally get a clear view of Ron. Ron took a sip then looked at him. Ron's brow was furrowed and he actually looked dead serious for once.

"Well out with it already." He broke the silence with a hiss,

"She's in danger." Ron said simply.

Shock split his mind, but he was sure he was able to hold his apathetic expression as always, "And how, pray tell, you came upon this revelation, Weasley?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Ron questioned, "It's her connection to me!"

Suddenly his thoughts center around her and if Ron was right. He couldn't be! In any other circumstances, Ron would be correct, but these aren't normal circumstances. No, these are far from normal. He's wrong and she's not in any danger.

"You're wrong," he finally voiced his thoughts,

"Are you mad?" Ron glared at him as if he's lost my mind or something of the sort, "He knows she's connected to me! She's in danger and I won't allow her to get caught in this!"

He rolled his eyes in exasperation once more, "Weasley, if she were connected to Potter, THEN we'd have an issue."

"Who do you think is connected to Harry more than me?" He demanded. "He'll try to get to Harry through me and try to get to me through her!" He made a good point. Damn it.

"You're full of a lot of hot air Weasley. How do you know he'd be so desperate to get to you that he'd go to the full extent to waste extra energy and magic to get her?" he inquired,

"Damn it, Malfoy! I came to you because I thought you of all people would understand and believe me!" Ron said as he slammed his now empty glass of Fire Whiskey down on the coffee table.

"I think you're in more danger than she is right now!" Draco threatened,

Ron narrowed his eyes as he stood up, "You wouldn't dare! You'll let a childish school rivalry to come before her safety!?"

"She's not in any danger! Merlin, Weasley! Get it through your thick head!" Draco yelled as he stood up as well, coming eye level with Ron. "Besides, what gives you this frivolous idea that I even give a damn about her?"

"Because you used to give a damn!" Ron countered,

"The key thing, Weasley, is that it's all said in past tense," Draco said in a dry tone, "The past is the past and best left there."

"So you'll let her get killed?" Ron questioned, "You'll let Voldemort kill her just to get to me?"

"How many bloody times do I have to tell you that she's not in any danger!?" Draco demanded, "And if she was in danger, the hell I'd let her die just for the sake of getting to you! I'd kill you directly if that was the goal! I'd never let her die just for the sake of your sorry arse!" Suddenly he shut his mouth, hoping Ron didn't catch the slip.

"You do give a damn." Ron said silently. He caught Draco alright. Damn him.

Draco walked away, scowling, towards a window. He downed the contents of his glass and leaned a shoulder against the window frame as he stared out into the slightly cloudy sky.

"I believe you."

Draco looked over his shoulder at Ron, giving him a quizzical expression, "You believe me?"

"That she's safe. I believe you." Ron explained,

"What changed your mind? The whiskey? Or did my constant yelling finally penetrate that thick skull and stubborn Weasley attitude of yours?" Draco sneered,

"Because you give a damn," Ron said quietly and simply, "If you didn't, you wouldn't care for her safety- But since you do, you do care about her safety and if you say she's safe. I'll believe you."

"How are you sure this isn't a feint?" Draco asked as he continued staring at Ron,

"The fact that you're not denying it," Ron shrugged, "You still won't deny it now that I've said that, will you?"

Draco sighed as he ran his hand through his silky hair. Finally, he shook his head negatively. "Just because I still care about her, Weasley, doesn't change anything. Just because I still care about her, doesn't mean I've suddenly joined the Light. You know that." Ron nodded.

"So, are you going to take me to the Ministry, since I've flat out admitted that?"

"No."

Draco stared at Ron in slight shock, "If you were so worried of her safety, why'd you come here? Why not tell this to Potter and get his help in protecting her?"

"Because I knew that you'd know if she was safe or not." Ron said it as if it were obvious, "How you know that, I don't know."

"I made a deal with the Dark Lord. Her safety in exchange for my loyalty. With my loyalty, he has my skills and power at his disposal," Draco answered without hesitation.

Ron nodded in understanding.

"So, are you going to take me to the Ministry, now? Now that I've admitted my direct allegiance and proof of loyalty to the Dark side?"

"No."

Draco looked at him in shock once more, "Why not? You come here, seeking information, I give it along with information of my own position in the war that is bound to happen, yet you still won't bring me to the Ministry?" Ron nodded in agreement, "Merlin, Weasley. I don't know who's more stupid. Me for admitting all this or you for not doing anything about it."

"If anything happens to you, that agreement of her safety is broken," Ron replied, "But how do you know that Voldemort will stay true to his word?"

"I don't."

"So all you have is blind hope that Voldemort, the Dark Lord, will stay true to this agreement of her safety?" Ron questioned. Draco nodded, "That's preposterous!"

"I know." Draco said in what seemed to be a slightly defeated tone.

"Isn't there anything else to assure her safety?" Ron asked as he approached Draco, annoyance and desperation in his voice, pleading in his expression. "Anything else to make sure he won't kill her to get to me?"

"There is."

"What is it?" Ron questioned, his desperation breaking through as he stood a foot away from Draco.

Draco looked back out the window, refusing to stare into the eyes of the person he had just forged a connection with, "I'll kill you."


(Part Two - The Confrontation)

No comments:

Post a Comment